BTEC Extended Diploma in Games Design
Unit 78 Exercise : Computer game graphics
Pixel art :
Storage Of Image Assets
Rendered cut scenes and animations
Heads Up Display
Logos, graphic design and typography
Advertising - eg: Posters, Adverts, Point Of Sale, TV adverts, Viral videos, social media
Concept art - drawings, photographs, mood board, videos
Artistic Styles - e.g: Photorealism, Abstract, Cartoon, Cel Shaded, Anime
Unit 78 Exercise : Computer graphics specification
The dictionary definition of the word "specification" :
an act of identifying something precisely or of stating a precise requirement:
"give a full specification of the job advertised"
a detailed description of the design and materials used to make something.
"one of the telescope's mirrors had been manufactured to incorrect specifications"
In terms of computer graphics, the term specification could refer to the individual components of what the graphics are made up from. The individual components could cover areas such as:
- This refers to the how sharp graphics appear on screen
- This refers to how files are shrunk down to reduce their size, and how much this affects image quality
- File extensions
- Naming conventions that the computer uses to identify types of files
- Image capture
- Ways of bringing an image into a digital computer environment
- Ways of allowing a system or its graphics to run at their very best performance
- Storage Of Image Assets
- Ways that data and graphics are saved securely within a computer environment
A specification could also refer to a client brief - they will specify certain parameters for the project from the outset. For example, they might say that they want a 3D fantasy adventure to run on the 3DS. The artistic style should be cel-shaded and be bright, fun and appealing. The client may say that they want a mixture of 3D sprites and 2D backgrounds.
Specification can also include typography - a certain sort of font, look of the graphics' text or design of the games' logo. If the game already has an established brand, the client could opt to specify the inclusion or updating of any existing logos or typography.